Friday, May 9, 2008

La Fortuna - arrived and feeling special

Lucia: so, we arrived yesterday into San Jose', proceeded to get just a bit ripped off by Avis (do not try to book a compact 4WD SUV on their website, apparently you end up with a mid sized sedan. You will then pay twice as much when you just upgrade at the counter to the vehicle that won't get stuck in the mud), and then took a few wrong turns before we were headed in the direction of La Fortuna.
La Fortuna is the town near the Arenal Volcano, and it is a nice little touristy town. We had reservations at a super nice resort, Tabacon (I turned off the Spanish-yness of this keyboard and computer so I could navigate here, but now I don't get access to any of the spanish keys... gnnr), and it was properly lush and fancy.
This morning we headed to the hot springs and had the place all to ourselves. It was very nice, even if some of the pools were being cleaned. After spending exactly 2 minutes in the pool myself (I don't care for sweatyness in a pool) I chilled and my mother enjoyed. we then packed ourselves up and headed back to the hotel.
We hadn't eaten since last night (where my mother may or may not have stiffed the waiter by not paying any attention to the bill - or if there was a place to put a tip - this is significant since the place was pretty empty and we cheated him out of at least 10 bucks... or maybe they already added it. we will never know. Unless we see him in town today and he gives us a dirty look. then we will know.) and we were starving so we headed into town. We just got done eating at a nice little cafe. our Cafe Negro was good, and my casado (a sort of everything together plate) was nicely enhanced by a bunch of the salsa lizano (a local not hot sauce).

Cathy: Ok so maybe I did stiff the guy but I did not mean to. we waited so long for the check..The hotel is very nice but the bathtub drain does not work. The patio was a rainforest with a table and chairs.

2 comments:

loud said...

A hotel looses major points if the bathtub drain doesn't work, I say. Just like if the restroom in a restaurant doesn't have a hook for my purse - I don't want to put my purse on the floor of any public bathroom, I don't care how nice the restaurant is.

DarcyM said...

that looks absolutely beautiful. Sign me up.