Wednesday, May 14, 2008

concluding a stay at the nicest resort ever

Lucía: Before two days ago I would have told you that the nicest hotel I had ever stayed in was in Walnut Creek CA and I only got to stay two nights working twelve hour shifts in the meanwhile.
uh, the Walnut Creek hotel has now been knocked off the throne by the Peace Lodge at the La Paz Waterfall Gardens. I admit, I have been frustrated by the expensive hotel choices that my mother seems to prefer. I seem to like something in between Sara´s hostel for 12 dollars a preson and the 200 a night resorts. But, I fully admit, this place, when you get one of the good rooms is amazing.
The room had a fireplace, a private balcony overlooking the volcán Poás and including a hammock and a jacuzzi, then the bathroom had a deep jacuzzi tub and a waterfall shower. uh, very cool. the romantic mood was a little wasted on my mother and me, but it was in the air.
The hotel also included access to the park, which had five waterfalls and paths that led to beautiful overlooks and even underneath one of them. it was amazing.
I will tell you though, that if you are coming here and you see the note at the bottom of the pamphlet that says ¨must be able to do stairs¨They MEAN it. like really. stairs to everywhere. feeling the burn!
The room was so good, and there were so many stairs everywhere, we actually just didn´t do anything else that first night and morning, just enjoyed the room.
unfortunately we only got the good room for one night and then had to move to what no one should pay the amount we paid, an apartment room. I suggest that you skip the place if you have to stay in one of these apartment rooms.
anyhow, my mother took the nice boys at the front desk to task as I hid in the computer room to write this post.
Also, you notice that the posts are coming relatively slowly. This is because there seems to be an inverse relationship (I am struggling with whether I mean an inverse relationship in math terms, but I think this is the colloquial usage, so I am going with it) between the cost of the hotel room and the internet access. At hostels the internet is free and fast. At these resorts the internet seems consistently slow and often is at an additional charge.
other notes - the livestock continues to rush out into the road to greet us. We are now experts at avoiding chickens, goats, and cows.
Today we head off (well fed on what was the most awesome breakfast buffet in all of CR) to the beach. Tommorrow night we have reservations for three nights at a place on the beach, but tonight we are winging it. This winging it seems to result in stress, anger and frustration at the time to pick the hotel. This anger typically subsides by morning.
anyhow, see the next post for pictures.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I bet I could find cheaper than $12 a night. Whether the bunk beds would be mountable is another story...

Alex said...

The same inverse relationship exists in Asia. Damn money-grubbing hotel chains.

Another paradox is the inverse relationship between a country's development and the accessibility of internet cafes.